Monday, April 14

gargoyles

This photograph caught my eye because it feels like the soldiers are waiting on the edges to infiltrate the city. The soldiers could be interpreted as “guarding” the city but the way they are leaning towards the city give the impression that they are attacking it. This photo makes me feel anxious, as if I am on the roof with them waiting to pounce on the prey below. I like how the contrast between the black lines of the soldiers versus the flush white of the city below tells the story of good versus evil. The photo is clearly making the statement that the soldiers are the ones who caused the destruction to the city and that they are satisfied watching their masterpiece. The depth of this photograph is part of what makes it so appealing and is another reason why I chose it. The city lies beneath the soldiers which shows their presence and dominance over the city.