Wednesday, May 7

We Don't Come In Peace

Dear Extraterrestrials,

I am sorry. I always knew it would be like this. But it was our only way of stopping the violence. Don't you see, the only way we could stop all the world wars here on our planet between us was to find a new enemy. An enemy to ALL of us. That was you. You never deserved this. We made you our enemy. We sought you out. Poked. Prodded. Our scientists deemed you "unpredictable and a danger to humankind." Honestly, you scared the shit out of us. Thus, you deeply offended humans. We were so intensely intimidated by you that our fight or flight instinct mistakenly kicked in. But if we were to run away and leave you to simply be, well, well we just couldn't have that. History would call us cowards! Not tolerant and accepting.

But you never had intentions of hurting us, did you? You were friendly, interested, curious of our big guns, shiny masks, and mean demeanor. So all the leaders of the most powerful countries here on Earth set aside their differences and calculated a strategy for making you our enemy. Do you get it yet? They HAD to make you the bad guy so when we attacked you and turned this war into a massacre, they could justify their actions to the population of the world by claiming it was YOU who had harmful intentions. So we supported our leaders. For once we were all cheering on the same team. But then we began to question, why weren't you fighting back? Why haven' t we seen all the danger and violence that for sure you were all about? We had you all wrong. We weren't profiling your race, we were profiling ours. The human race were the monsters. I am sorry.

We regret destroying your home, your resources, your families. We apologize for never taking the time to understand. We were scared you were better than us; turns out you were. Maybe not when it came to biggest and newest and deadliest weapons, but you were when it came to one thing. Love. Understanding. Peace. I wish we could have learned from you. I wish we didn't have to fight. Because, don't you see the big picture? You were only a distraction. You see, we are already fighting again. This time, for who gets YOUR planet. We just can't get enough. I just want to be satisfied. I want people to be okay. I want everyone to leave everyone alone. I want us to be okay. I always thought it was too late for us, but I think we might have a chance. I hope you're still there, we could learn a thing or two.I am sorry we did not come in peace, I never have known a time that we have.

Sorry for our loss,

erin


No comments: